Recently I lost Roger in the place I thought I had control over him. There are few factors to this and I don’t blame him but only myself. Here’s a short post with some advice that I have learnt from this experience.
Why he got lost?
Few factors to that:
- routine has changed as my van broke down, so we took a bus to our usual hilly run.
- I stopped using ball to keep him occupied.
- He ran away after bunnies and I let him stay behind us.
- I whistled but thought he knows where he is and where we were.
What did I do wrong?
So when I realised we lost him, I started searching for him (finally realising it was wrong direction). I whistled and whistled. Laferra kept with me and she really tried to help but she kept running with me. Someone said to me he ran the other way (which eventually I realised wasnt right and that how we missed Roger half way through). I moved from the place we lost him rather than staying as I started to panic.
What happen to Roger?
On the map below there is yellow mark at the bottom where we lost Roger. Roger overthink stuff and only he could thought of running all the way to top yellow mark (bus stop where we got off from the bus) to check if we are there. When he realised we werent there, he ran back to the park, but by that time I started thinking like him, so we met where the heart is on photo. Only Roger could remember a way that he only walked once. Only Roger would think to go and check if we are there. Eventually when we found him, he didnt look stressed, he look way chuffed with himself that he found us. Bless him.
What should I do when I lost him?
- go to place where I lost him.
- stay there and whistle and call him cheerfully (I thought I was going to kill him).
- try to listen for him.
- don’t panic.
- don’t stress.
- if I decided to move around, I should have left my jacket at the place I lost him (friend’s advice).
- asked around few people rather than one who really had no clue.
- when Roger was found I cried but I really should have greet him warmly (I gave him massive cuddle).
I was lucky that it was just Roger and I believe as a staffie x border collie he is super smart and just doesn’t think as ordinary dog. Roger is a dog who overthinks and remembers things that were showed to him once. I love him to bits and yes it was scary but I wasn’t stressed however was worried that something would happen to him as you can see he really went to explore Edinburgh. Now I ordered him a gift tho so no more missing Roger: tractive gps. I will let you know how we are getting on with it.